MoinMoin vs ZWiki

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 06:01:28 EST 2000

<wade at lightlink.com> said:
>Has anybody tried both MoinMoin and Zwiki? I'm trying to get a wikiwiki
>going with a minimum of administrative overhead. Don't need the other
>Zope features right now, though if Zwiki is roughly comparable for
>reliability & ease of use, I'd probably go that way & then have the
>rest of Zope available.

Having only had a quick look at MoinMoin, and having had a week or so of
using Zwiki a small amount, personally I'd differentiate them as much by how
one enters text formatting information - that is,
if one doesn't mind MoinMoin's::

	''this is emphasised'' but '''this is bold''' and {{{this}}} is "code"

approach, versus Zwiki's[1]::

	*this is emphasised* but **this is bold** and 'this' is "code"

(I *think* I've gotten the MoinMoin conventions right). I *am* biassed, as
I'm one of the people proposing that a (variant of) StructuredText (what
Zope uses) be used for docstrings in Python, but I also think the Zope text
is easier to type (and that is one of its aims - to be close to what one
would type in, for instance, an email)[2].

[1] there do appear to be *plans* to allow one to say that a MoinMoin page
is in StructuredText
(see "Help on Processing

Instructions":http://www.encrypted.net/~jh/moinmoin/moin.cgi/HelpOnProcessin
gInstructions
for details), but that says it's not working yet, and I can't help the poor
users could get *very* confused!)

[2] On the other hand, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to steal some of
the MoinMoin conventions!
(mainly the "insert a horizontal rule" convention). And I quite like the
*look* of MoinMoin.

Tibs

Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm
(once they've established you're talking a post-1959 inch, of course)