gmp module

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Mon Nov 6 14:45:09 EST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Alex Martelli wrote:

> "mary" <mary at iitk.ac.in> wrote in message
> news:8u5tua$rie$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Hi,
> > is someone working on a python gmp module.
>
> Yes!  I am.
[...]
> There are some design issues, such as -- should
> gmpy objects be immutable (for conceptual
> compatibility with builtin numbers) or mutable
> (for efficiency)?  Should the whole module be
> built with C (for maximum portability and
> minimal binary-size) or C++ (e.g. py_cpp) for
> max programmer-productivity and to gain nice
> extras such as being able to inherit from the
> objects the module exports...?
[...]

Surely it's possible to inherit even from C 'classes'?  I remember seeing
something about this in, I think it was the SWIG manual, when I scanned
through it.

I wonder if it's possible to get gmp to work with NumPy on the C level, ie
not using arrays of Python objects, but as an array directly accessible
from C libraries using gmp?  I've never used gmp, or NumPy's C API, so I
have no idea.

John