Problems building C extension for Python 2.0

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Wed Nov 1 11:53:48 EST 2000

In article <3a0043ac.25932418 at news.ecs.soton.ac.uk>,
John Carter <jnc at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>I get an error when I try to link my python extensions with python 2.0
>as follows

[...]
>c:\progra~1\python20\libs\python20.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid
>file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x39ed3e8c

[...]
>I'm using VC++ 5, is this the problem?

Yes. Python 2.0 is compiled with VC++ 6. VC++ 5 can't link with things
compiled with VC++ 6. You might be able to recompile Python itself
with VC++ 5.

You'd think that the linker would be able to tell the difference
between an invalid file and the disk being full. But no, this is
Microsoft we're talking about.

Cheers,

Duncan.