ideal architecture for Python/IIS/ASP/COM?

Bill Seitz fluxent at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 14:26:57 EST 2000

We're going to be building a number of intranet/extranet server
applications. Since the users will be spending a lot of their time in
Microsoft client apps (Word, Outlook), it seems logical to develop
the server side on a Microsoft platform: Win2K, Active Directory,
Exchange, IIS, etc. to get the integrated security model and ease of
bolting on various side services (like FTP, WebDAV, etc.).

But, having lived through the maintenance lifecycle of ColdFusion and
other semi-structured languages, I'd rather develop in Python than VB
or anything else.

I've gotten Python working with my IIS server for doing simple ASP
stuff.

But I'd like to plan on this stuff staying fairly manageable over
time. So I'd like the bulk of my logic implemented in python modules
rather than ASP pages. What's the best way to manage this? Have the
browser ask for an ASP page, which calls Python methods? Call a .py
file which then calls an ASP to deliver its output (not sure if this
is even possible)? Something else? Is there any reason for me to turn
my Python code into COM objects?

Many apps I build will use SqlServer as a db. Should I use the ADO
COM objects, mxODBC, or something else?

I anticipate that, down the road, I'll be buying some larger packaged
apps (like an industry-targeted accounting system) which exposes a
COM API. Does the need to access this API (maybe to build a web
interface when the original app uses a fat client) change the
preferred architecture?