gmp module

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 10:23:17 EST 2000

"John J. Lee" <phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.30.0011061933420.29419-100000 at mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk...
    [snip]
> > minimal binary-size) or C++ (e.g. py_cpp) for
> > max programmer-productivity and to gain nice
> > extras such as being able to inherit from the
> > objects the module exports...?
> [...]
>
> Surely it's possible to inherit even from C 'classes'?  I remember seeing
> something about this in, I think it was the SWIG manual, when I scanned
> through it.

ExtensionClass (a part of Zope, but also released
separately) is, I think, what could help doing this.
But, in general, I don't think it's possible (or,
surely, not easy), while py_cpp does make it easy.

> I wonder if it's possible to get gmp to work with NumPy on the C level, ie
> not using arrays of Python objects, but as an array directly accessible
> from C libraries using gmp?  I've never used gmp, or NumPy's C API, so I
> have no idea.

Me neither, but it sure would be a nice plus if it
could be done without changes to NumPy.

Anyway, some stuff is now online at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmpy/
so you're welcome to take a look...