Interactive vs IDLE

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Nov 4 09:25:17 EST 2000

[Daniel Klein]
> Just curious, with the advent of IDLE, is there any reason
> whatsoever to use the 'interactive' mode anymore?

Well, if you don't *want* to run IDLE, because you don't have X libs, let
alone Tk, on the machine you are running/testing Python on, or you are doing
it over a 33k6 link, or through a firewall that doesn't allow X connections,
or maybe (like me) because you don't like IDLE :-) I do my Python
programming in my favorite editor 'joe', and run the scripts afterward. I
use the interactive interpreter to test things and find things out. I might
consider using IDLE if it had a 'console mode' and had 'joe' keybindings :-)

Deviant-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>