GMP, mpzmodule, Win32 -- advice/comments/pointers...?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Oct 17 13:51:17 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
> mpz-only.  Any news on Reuben Sumner's "updated
> and enhanced" version mentioned on AMK's GMP page?

No idea.  At one point Sumner said he wanted to make some enhancements
to it and release them, but no module is available from his home page.
You could write him and ask if he has partially complete source code
that he could send you.  Otherwise,

> The docs of gmpmodule.c claim that mpzmodule.c as
> distributed with Python is obsolete -- is it so?

IIRC, mpzmodule.c was written for GMP 1.x, and contains lots of
workarounds for various 1.x bugs that are no longer required with the
2.x or 3.x versions of GMP.  I don't know offhand if the gmpmodule
offers any features that mpzmodule doesn't.  Oh, there is one;
gmpmodule can replace Python's longobject.c so that GMP is used for
Python's longs.  (I should try it with 2.0 and see if that still
works...)

--amk