How do I force a single instance of a python app?

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Wed Oct 25 09:45:17 EDT 2000

Open a flag file exclusively for writing. If successful you are alone,
if not, another instance already has the file.

The OS should close the file and free the exclusive lock if the app
crashes.