I want to impress the boss.

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 06:46:58 EDT 2000

<cigar20 at my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8sgn6d$s10$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Ok... Now that we've all had our turn at stating "I'm new to Python"
> (and don't yet know much).  Focus....Focus! :)
>
> The questions:
> - The location of a complete set of Microsoft Word COM commands is
> asking too much?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/odeomg/deovrmicrosoftword2000.ht

gives a graphical diagram of the Word 2000 object model and
reminds you that the complete documentation of it (in compiled
HTML form) "is available in VBAWRD9.CHM" (assuming, of course,
that you've installed the "Visual Basic for Application Help files"
as a part of your Office 2000 installation).  "commands" is not
a term that I've ever heard used in conjunction with COM or
Automation (Methods, Properties, Interfaces, Events, etc, are
terms generally used), but I guess this is what you mean...?

Actually, almost-full docs are also part of MSDN and available
online.  E.g., if you're looking for details of the AutoCorrect
object, you'll find them starting from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/off2000/grproautocorrect.htm
However, this part of MSDN is not well-integrated with its TOC,
so navigating it is not maximally easy (the above-mentioned CHM
file makes it easier, IMHO).

> - When interfacing to VSS it's up to me to build my own 'home grown'
> set of commands...(it's possibly not mature enough a program to have a
> built in COM interface)?

Visual SourceSafe 6.0 supports COM Automation.  Some
relevant articles, easily found in 5 minutes with a
fast net connection and intimate familiarity with
MSDN (but no VSS experience:-)...:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/vssauto.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?TARGET=/support/kb/articles/q2
01/4/31.asp

and others listed at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/ssafe/technical/articles.
asp

> Answers:
> - What's the hurry?  I understood you could do things quickly in
> Python.  Why must I show patience? :)

Python is generally the fastest way to solve a given
problem.  Getting very good familiarity with the many
gigabytes of information on MSDN, so you can find what
you're looking for (and decipher it from MS-speak to
your own terms:-), is, on the other hand, a "fine art",
only learned through extensive experience.  And hurry
tends to interfere.

Alex