Undocumented re bug???

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Thu Oct 19 20:42:41 EDT 2000

Benny Shomer wrote:
>I'm experiencing a werid re behaviour.  Whenever the digit 7 is present
>in a range specifier, the re fails, although the pattern exists in the
>string.

Yeah.  sre.DIGITS up until the 2.0beta didn't contain 7.  Took me a long
time to track that one down  :)  I sent in a patch which has been applied
to the newer distributions.

If you don't want to upgrade, just fix DIGITS in sre_parse.py.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org

P.S.
  Looks like you are doing Prosite searches of protein sequences.  You
might want to look into biopython.org which includes, among other things,
a Prosite to (s)re converter.