Cross Platform Locking: THe Easy Way

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Oct 29 16:57:21 EST 2000

[ Long thread about cross-platform locking, most of which I missed ]

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, because I missed most of this
thread, but Mailman (2.0 / CVS) does a good job at attempting cross-platform
locking that works over NFS. I know, I reworked it, after which Barry took
it and reworked it even better ;) It's also quite usable outside of Mailman,
Barry went through some trouble to put Mailman specific imports in a
try/except. You might want to adjust the logging, if you want to enable
that, but that's about it.

(The locking mechanism used by Mailman is that which was proposed in a few
revisions of the 'open(2)' manpage on Linux, some revisions of the QMail
documentation (I believe), probably a ton of other places, and is in heavy
use at, for instance, XS4ALL, to do locking over NFS.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>