DLL-building griefs

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Sun Oct 29 08:08:07 EST 2000

I'm trying to build a DLL (previously using Cygwin, now using Mingw)
for a Python module. My batch file looks like this:

gcc -Ic:\Python20\Include -c foo.c
echo EXPORTS > foo.def
nm foo.o | grep " T _" | sed "s/.* T _//" >> foo.def
dllwrap --def foo.def --base-file foo.base --output-exp foo.exp \
   --dllname foo.dll foo.o

During the execution of dllwrap.exe, I get complaints that various
functions are undefined: PyArg_ParseTuple, Py_BuildValue, and
Py_InitModule4. As a result, the DLL never gets built.

My experience with Unix while building .so files has been that the
linker is willing to assume that these references would be resolved
when the .so file was invoked by, say, being imported by Python.
Is it possible for references to remain unresolved during the build
process in Windows, or is this a fatal flaw in everything Windows-ish?
--
# Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.