newbie

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 20 16:57:18 EDT 2000

LONNIE wrote:

> I have been teaching myself python for about a month now for the simple
> reason that I have read alot of literature that says that its easy to jump
> from python to c++. I was just wondering if this was true also I have been
> teaching myself from online tutorials but I have been looking for a good
> book to go along with the literature that I have downloaded so far any
> suggestions would be nice.
>
> thanks
> Lonnie
> lonniet at prodigy.net

I think you will learn a lot about object-oriented programming in Python
which will stand you in good stead when you make the transition to C++.

But the principal advantage of learning Python before C++ is that you may
end up convinced (unless your applications call for high efficiency or
need to be integrated with other C++ code) that you don't really need to
learn C++ at all!

It's a much more restrictive language that Python: where Python tends to
be permissive (you can do these things, but you might end up in trouble
if you don't do them right), C++ is proscriptive (you can't do this, and
you can't do that, and you have to declare this, that and the other).

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/