Programmer-Wanna-Be (Is Python for me?)

Alex the_brain at mit.edu
Wed Oct 11 12:30:05 EDT 2000

> NowI've got many questions for all of you who use Python.  (And please
> dumb things down to my current "non-programmer" level of comprehension!)
>
> 1.  First of all, is Python what I'm looking for:  a way to create
> Windows (or other OS's) applications?

Yes.

> 2.  Is Python RELATIVELY one of the easiest ways to do this?

Yes.

> 3.  What about Visual Basic? (the most commonly used) Why should I not
> choose VB instead?

Never used it, so I don't really know.  It seems to me based on what
I've read here that people who write complex applications in VB often
end up regretting it.

> 4.  Is there a WYSIWYG editor (like Frontpage is for HTML)?  Is this what
> Tkinter is?  Is there a 'better' WYSIWYG editor for Python that I should
> use instead?

Don't know.  I recall seeing some stuff like that here occaisionally,
but I don't know how finished it is.

> 6.  Where should I start?  (I've already downloaded and installed
> Python2.0b2 but haven't attempted to write anything)  Do I need to
> download anything else?

http://www.python.org/doc/tut

Alex.

--