SMTP receive as well as send

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at beopen.com
Sat Oct 14 23:21:40 EDT 2000

>>>>> "benny" ==   <benny at nairobi.demon.nl> writes:

    benny> I'm in need of an SMTP setup that will allow me to receive
    benny> as well as send messages. The Python SMTPlib looked like a
    benny> good bet but it seems to be send-only (kind of like the
    benny> POP3 lib stuff seems to be read only).

    benny> Can a kind soul help out a Python newbie and give me a few
    benny> hints about how/where/etc. I could get an SMTP setup that
    benny> works both ways please?  (The PC is a Linux box.)

I have a minimal RFC 821 smtp server built on top of
asyncore/asynchat, which I've used to experiment with and debug GNU
Mailman.  It will probably make it into Python 2.1's standard library.
In the meantime, you can download it from

    http://www.wooz.org/barry/software/pyware.html

It supports configurable backends via subclassing, but currently
doesn't do mailbox delivery.

Enjoy,
-Barry