CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Tue Oct 31 01:44:08 EST 2000

"D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message

> Java's implementation (from Sun) is proprietary.  However, you can get a
compiled version for free.

> There are also other implementations (gcj allows compiling to native
machine code,  kaffe provides a bytecode compiler and VM -- > for Linux at
least

Yes, but if you write a program in Java, and then compile it for Linux with
DCJ, then it is still written in (and must be maintained in) a proprietary
language controlled in every way by one company - no better than VB.

Tom.

> BTW  [OT]:   I can't remember how to create bytecode with gcj.  Would
anyone like to refresh my memory?

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:29:25 Tom wrote:
> > And isn't Java a proprietary language/platform (ie. how would you like a
VB