New Python development process (SourceForge considered Harmful?)

Quinn Dunkan quinn at seniti.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Oct 1 20:32:58 EDT 2000

On 01 Oct 2000 10:32:18 -0400, Alex <the_brain at mit.edu> wrote:

>> No, I can't.  I believe there is a delay based on the way that pages
>> appear: the ad appears quickly, then there is a considerable delay
>> before the rest of the content is sent. This is common technique on
>> the internet.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you've looked at the source, and the delay isn't
>> there, then I'm wrong and I retract my comments.
>
>Banner ads are usually served from a completely unrelated machine
>administered by the company brokering the ad space, aren't they?  I
>would have expected those machines to work faster than the ones serving
>up the sourceforge content proper.

I often see banner ads first because I use netscape, which doesn't
incrementally display tables.  Some people like to put their whole page in one
giant table, with the banner ad included at the top outside of the table.  So
the result is that the ad (or rather the "unloaded image" box :) pops up
immediately while the rest of the page is only displayed after it is
completely done loading.