[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich , comparison

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Wed Oct 25 14:56:35 EDT 2000

"Paul Prescod" <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
> In either case you are in control. If Guido changes the default to be
> float division you can get integer division by wrapping the result in a
> floor().

When you are using long integers, the result of floor could be missing
significant digits.

Floating points should not be part of the core language.  The correct way to
implement floating points is in terms of integers, preferable within the
language (as opposed to a C extension).  I can live with rationals, but for
performance reasons I want a way to do pure integer division in the
language, just like I want to keep non-long integers.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com