What's wrong with ActiveState? (was: Is this a dream or a nightmare? (Was Re: XML))

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Tue Oct 10 12:11:56 EDT 2000

"Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message
news:ABE8719E58552782.10F0DE3A10643726.D1376FE7AD8F70C3 at lp.airnews.net...
> In article <39e1f314.11798695 at news.davesworld.net>,
> David T. Grove <pete at petes-place.com> wrote:
> .
> I'll summarize what I understand from this thread:  you
> are angry with ActiveState.  Thousands of other people
> are opposed to ActiveState.  The reasons are sufficiently
> evident that I could comprehend them without further
> explanation if only I would "pay attention".
>
> Thank you for your help in this matter.  Good luck with
> CodeMagic and CodeMagicCD; I'm told these are quite useful
> and praiseworthy.

The other thing that strikes me as noteworthy here is that David Grove works
for a competitor to ActiveState, and that they were considering using his
position regarding ActiveState as a marketing initiative.

I'm not saying that he is wrong.  Just that he can't be considered an
objective source on this matter.

I think the Python community will have to judge ActiveState based on its
actions relative to Python.

My personal opinion (and I'm not affiliated with anyone) is that Mark
Hammond appears to have contributed quite a bit to the Python community, so
I'm quite interested to see what he (and AS) come up with.

Tom.