PythonWin IDE sucks!

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Fri Oct 27 13:09:40 EDT 2000

Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk> wrote:

>Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
>> This is such a huge irritation and time waster for me that if it isn't
>> sorted out I can't really consider Python for future large projects.
>
>What has the Pythonwin IDE got to do with using Python?
>
>> To test a module, I import it into PythonWin using the Import/Reload
>> button and then instantiate a class in the Interactive Window.
>
>How are you importing?

Using the Import/Reload button on the toolbar, which is the same as
File -> Import or CTRL-I

> You did notice that reload only
>works if you use:
>
>import foo
>
>Whereas
>
>from foo import *
>
>will make reload ineffective.
>That's a python limitation not a pythonwin fault.
>
>> After a failure, I fix the offending code and Import/Reload again.
>> However, the same failure occurs showing the original line with it's
>> original contents. The changed module hasn't been loaded.
>
>Did you delete the class instance and create a new one after
>the reload? The original is still running the original
>code... (I think!)

In this particular case, no class was instantiated owing to a bug in
the code.

>> The only way to fix it is to quite and reload PythonWin
>> but then you have to arrange windows, reestablish
>> breakpoints and watches, etc. and it all takes far too long.
>
>Too long compared to what? We have a 4 hour compile cycle
>on one of our current C++ projects.... by comparison
>working with python is a joy! :-)

Compared to not. This is the ONLY IDE I've used that can't handle
buggy code. (I've used, VB, Visual Studio, Delphi to name a few.)

>What other environment do you use that allows you to
>load new module files into a running process?

See list above.

>BTW Have you tried IDLE?

Only briefly. Is it likely to improve matters? I'll see if I can work
with it.

>What happens if you use the command line interpreter?

I do for most trial runs owing to problems described but sometimes I
want to have an interactive nose around. It's also useful to have a
preserved program state after an error.

>And what version of Pythonwin? There was a buggy version
>about a year back. (was it winall version 125?)

133

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Out-Think Ltd