large file support

Joshua Muskovitz josh at open.com
Fri Oct 20 21:56:32 EDT 2000

This is just a guess, so no flames when I'm completely wrong.  :-)

On some OSes, the maximum memory allowed *per process* can be smaller than
the total memory.  I've seen this on boxes with 4GB of RAM that only allow a
maximum of 2GB memory spaces per process (this was on a linux/intel box, I
believe).  It has to do with how the paging space is managed, I think, and
the number of address bits allowed in each process space.  You might try
checking with some IRIX gurus, though, just to be sure.

Can you read the entire file in at one time using a different programming
language?

-- josh