Programmer-Wanna-Be (Is Python for me?)

Geoff Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Fri Oct 13 10:36:15 EDT 2000

Lokie wrote:

> > 4.  Is there a WYSIWYG editor (like Frontpage is for HTML)?  Is this
> > what Tkinter is?  Is there a 'better' WYSIWYG editor for Python that I
> > should use instead?
> Good question, not seen one but I'm sure there was a thread in this group
> about a RAD for Python a few months ago......

I've looked at the WYSIWYG GUI designers for Python (on Windows only), and in my
opinion the best I've seen is wxDesigner for wxPython.  Information is at
http://www.roebling.de/ .  It's a commercial product, but it's pretty cheap --
$19 for students for non-commercial use, $69 for a single user, or $199 for 10
users.  It doesn't attempt to be a complete IDE like PythonWorks or Boa
Constructor, but it appears to do a great job of quickly letting you lay out
your GUI and spit out wxPython code.  In fact, I like its approach to GUI layout
better than VB's approach.  Download the evaluation version and try out the
samples.  As a bonus, it will also work with wxWindows if you need GUIs in C++
programs.

I haven't actually used it yet for a real project, but I'd like to try it the
next time I need to put together a Python GUI.

--

- Geoff Talvola
  Parlance Corporation