PEP 4: Deprecation of standard modules

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Oct 6 12:54:15 EDT 2000

[posted & e-mailed]

In article <mailman.970831519.8743.python-list at python.org>,
Martin von Loewis  <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

>I just finished a first draft of a PEP on deprecating (and eventually
>removing) modules from the standard Python library; it is available
>from
>
>http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0004.html

Looks pretty good.  I think it could stand to be slightly more clear
that a module must first be listed as deprecated and only after one or
more releases as a deprecated module may it be obsoleted.  I'll send you
exact edits if you want.

Main reason I'm posting this publicly is because I object to the
deprecation/obsolence of the gopherlib module.  One of my ISPs uses
gopher as a way of reporting status information (see gopher://rexx.com),
and there may well be other gopher servers out there.  I'm hoping to
rally support from other people who think gopher is not yet extinct.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

There's a difference between a person who gets shit zie doesn't
deserve and a person who gets more shit than zie deserves.  --Aahz