Class Browsers vs Static Types (Re: Inefficiency of __getattr__)

graham graham73 at telocity.com
Wed Oct 4 14:20:51 EDT 2000

Boris * (1+(is->cic))
> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
>> It clearly indicates that if the program was written in a language
>> without static typing *in the OCaml's style*, it would be hard to find
>> that bugs basing only on runtime behavior, even if tests covered the
>> whole code.
>
> This looks as if it could be universally assumed that typing bugs
> would translate to bugs during program execution if they weren't
> caught during compilation...

Err, that's the point of a type system. If you have a piece of code
that does

    true + 1

it will cause a run-time problem of some sort, unless the code isn't
run. But the latter case is not very common, since no-one writes code
that they don't intend to run.

So I am not sure I understand your question ...

graham

Boris * (1+(is->cic))
> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
>> One thing applying especially to Haskell:
>
> Why Haskell and not OCaml ?

Haskell is pure, OCaml is not.

graham