Newbie Mac question re: Tkinter

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Mon Oct 16 13:47:31 EDT 2000

In article <39EB30B5.52BF at lenti.med.umn.edu>, Martin Wessendorf
<martinw at lenti.med.umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello all--
>
> I've just started trying to learn Python and have installed 1.5.2 on my
> Mac 6100 under system 7.5 (...I always try to be at the cutting
> edge...).  The "Vise" installer claimed that it was installing Tk along
> with Python, and at the completion of the installation its window stated
> that the installation had been successful.  However, when I tried
> running some of the Tk demo's I got an error message in the Python
> interpreter window stating that the Tkinter module couldn't be found.
>
> I've searched for things with Tkinter in their name and found two items
> in the PIL directory; I've put that directory was in my path using the
> preference editor program.  Still no luck.
>
> I also tried re-running the configuration applet, also to no avail.
>
> Any suggestions?  Should I just scrap the thing and re-install?

In 1.5.2, the Tk stuff is largely broken (I never actually tried it in
the 1.5.2 release...I played with it in an earlier release).

In the new 2.0c1 release (out late last week, to be replaced by 2.0 this
week barring problems), it is somewhat less broken.  I was able to run a
few of the Tk demos, some of which worked and some only partly worked
(none I tried crashed).

Since you're just starting out and seem to want to use Tk, it's probably
better to start with 2.0.

See:
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html

   --John