PythonWin IDE Rules!

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Sat Oct 28 05:22:21 EDT 2000

"Bill Wilkinson" <bwilk_97 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>hmm. I don't really want to respond to this post as written, it is just too
>vile and sad.
>
>Nonetheless, for those reading this thread, I want to point out that the
>issue at hand is easy to work around, and indeed you will be missing out on
>a wonderful tool if you don't take the time to learn how to use PythonWin.
>

>Some points for everyone  to note:
>
>In the module pywin.framework.scriptutils, there is a function called
>GetActiveFileName that will return the full path of the file currently being
>edited. Using the path you can write functions to execute your script any
>way you want.
>
>You can map keys to run your functions by making a new cfg file in the pywin
>directory.  This is in the documentation.  From the help menu choose
>PythonWin and then look at "keyboard bindings".  This is really  sharp, and
>I have had great fun with it.  Almost as much fun as I have customizing VIM
>;) .
>
>I use the debugger with a helper function that calls the current file in a
>separate process.  This all seems quite natural.
>
>My config files currently allow me to run my scripts in the following
>ways(each has its own key bindings).
>1.  Within the current running version of pythonwin, but in its own name
>space, and with some module clean up. I never have name space problems.
>2.  In a separate process using the debugger.
>3.  In a new console.
>
>Truly, if you use Python under Windows, give this further study, you will
>realize that it is a great tool.  Mark has consistently made improvements to
>this app and it has become a really powerful tool.  Combined with Scintilla
>(Thanks Neil), the look of ones code can be spectacular both on screen and
>on paper.
>
>Word has it that Mark has even more improvements on the horizon, but you
>don't need to wait for them.  Read the docs, browse the code, experiment.
>You will be glad you did.
>
>Bill

Thanks for the pointers. I have saved this post for later when I get
time to study it more closely.

Have you changed PythonWin or just the cfg file?

Does debugging in a separate process allow the use of breakpoints?

I  tried to add a Windows command to the tools menu and failed
miserably. I gave up in the end.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Out-Think Ltd