how do I listen on a socket without sucking up all the CPU time?

Joshua Muskovitz josh at open.com
Tue Oct 3 09:35:45 EDT 2000

> Why is the socket set to non-blocking?  Why not set it to
> blocking so that the thread blocks until there's data to read?

This is one of those "um" questions.  The answer is "um, well, the prototype
code I was given to start with set it to non-blocking."  <insert sheepish
grin here>

The only reason I can thing of is that a separate thread needs to be able to
use the same socket to send requests (send and recv operate on the same
socket in different threads), but this may not be a valid reason either.

select.select worked great, but now I've got other problems, namely
figureing out why I'm no longer catching the KeyboardInterrupt exception I
used to be able to catch.

- j