In memory persistence - used as CGI

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 06:48:33 EST 2000

"Robin Dunn" <robin at alldunn.com> wrote in message
news:8tl1i6$fuv$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <8tkn1b09kg at news1.newsguy.com>,
>   "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > <youngcho_sd at my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > news:8tk9aq$p80$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > I'm using Python as a CGI language (for use both
    [snip]
> > No, each CGI 'hit' is served by a completely separate
> > process (I think this holds for both IIS and Apache),
    [snip]
> > have to go to disk, and/or use cookies.
>
> Or use something like FastCGI, but then you have to funnel all requests
> through a single process which is fine for light or medium loads, but
> can cause throughput issues at a high load.

If CGI is not required, then multiple processes might
still be acceptable -- the mmap builtin module (new in
2.0, I believe) will allow them to share the memory
areas to which objects get 'in-memory persisted'.  It
works on both Unix and Windows.  The memory may be
backed by the filesystem rather than the pagingfile,
but that shouldn't be an issue.

Alex