PythonLabs Team Moves to Digital Creations

Nikolas Kauer nkauer at my-deja.com
Sat Oct 28 16:52:47 EDT 2000

In article <eCCK5.7018$w6.3681138 at news3.rdc1.on.home.com>,
  "Tom" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> Some of this sounds good, but some is a bit scary.
I concur with Tom.  Take a moment and compare:

--- announcement, May version
Guido and the Python Team Join [com/org]
What changes is how much time we have for Python. Previously, Python was
a hobby or side project, which had to compete with our day jobs; at
[com/org] we will be focused full time on Python development! This means
that we'll be able to spend much more time on exciting new projects like
[future Python version]. [...], and we'll work with their marketing
department.

Marketing for Python, you ask? Sure, why not! We want the Python user
and developer community to grow at an even faster pace than today. This
should benefit everyone: the larger the community, the more resources
will be available to all, and the easier it will be to find Python
expertise when you need it. We're also planning to make commercial
offerings (within the Open Source guidelines!) to help Python find its
way into the hands of more programmers, especially in large enterprises
where adoption is still lagging.
----------

--- announcement, October version
PythonLabs Team Moves to [com/org]
[...]
We will be spending part of our time on core Python development
[...] and part of our time on Python infrastructure improvements that
also benefit [main product of com/org].

[...] [com/org] has no desire to monetize or brand the Python
language or specific Python distributions.  All future work we do on
Python as [com/org] employees will be owned by a non-profit
organization yet to be created.  We think of this new organization as
the Python Software Foundation.  [...]

[com/org] are one of the oldest companies active in the Python
community, one of the companies most committed to Python, and they have
a great product!  Plus, we know they have deep financial backing.  We
trust that [com/org] will provide a stable home for Python for many
years.
-----------

Obviously, the Python team/community and the New Economy business world
(branding, marketing, profits etc.) didn't hit it off.  Nevertheless,
IMHO the exciting growth that Python currently experiences calls for a
stable foundation, and a Python team working full time on Python.  So,
here's the announcement I'd like to see Guido post next year:
---
PythonLabs Team moves to Python Software Foundation
[...]
What changes is how much time we have for Python.  Previously,
Python development was only part of our day jobs, and we also had to
develop the main product of our employer; at PSF we will be focused full
time on Python development!  The Python Software Foundation is a
non-profit organization that has no desire to monetize or brand the
Python language or specific Python distributions.  We trust that PSF
will provide a stable foundation for Python for many years.

The catch is of course how to pay for it, but I could imagine that
something similar to the Python Consortium may be able to provide the
necessary funding.

Nikolas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.