newbie

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Fri Oct 20 14:17:55 EDT 2000

"Rainer Deyke" <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote in message
news:Ot_H5.100984$g6.45105501 at news2.rdc2.tx.home.com...
> "Brett g Porter" <BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:0SXH5.72992$ib7.10053637 at news1.rdc1.nj.home.com...
> > Well, yes and no. There's a sane and simple subset that's easily learned
> and
> > used. Most people never have need for the more obscure corners of the
> > language. But when I need them, I'm comforted knowing that they're
there.

> The standard C++ library throws exceptions.  Operator 'new' throws an
> exception on failure.  Thus, unless your sane subset uses the C library
and
> 'malloc' instead of 'new', your code is either exception-safe or
incorrect -
> and 90% of all C++ code isn't the former.

I have no interest in a Python vs C++ flame war. Love 'em both. Big sloppy
kisses all around. If I was writing middleware or plain old apps, I could
use Python for everything. But I don't, most of the time. I work on projects
where I need to approach realtime, or move huge amounts of data, or interact
with hardware. I've learned where the danger spots with C++ are -- they
don't scare me, and the greater expressive potential of C++ over C makes it
a simple choice for me.

--
// Brett g Porter * Senior Engineer, Application Development
// BgPorter @ artlogic . com * http://www.artlogic.com