python resources/python vs php

drdjr at my-deja.com drdjr at my-deja.com
Wed Oct 18 20:19:04 EDT 2000

Hello all,

I am researching web development environments and it's narrowed down to
php vs python (not zope). One of my main goals is to minimize
development time and effort, and ease of supportability. I want to use
an open source solution, as the ecommerce product my company (the
company I work for, not "my" company:-) is developing will also
released as open source. Regarding python, I have run into a couple of
problems:

1. There is a dearth of information covering python in a web server
environment (books, websites), as compared to php and perl.

2. The python related web application frameworks (psp, webware, etc.)
all seem to be in early stages of development (besides zope) and most
are poorly documented, and there is no clear "killer way to go".

With php, everything is right there in one neat package, it is all very
well documented and there are tons of books and sites to learn from.
Also, php is php, there aren't all these variations of how to do it!!
With python, it seems I need to cobble something together from very
little documentation. Even the python documentation itself at
python.org/doc/ leaves much to be desired.

I'm finding all kinds of people swearing by webware or pmz or zope or
psp etc., and I've found numerous self-promoting posts in this
newsgroup. So I have hope!! However, I've only found the few examples
that come with each package to learn from. Compare that to the wealth
of documentation, books, and websites dedicated to php (php.net
phpbuilder.net, webdever.org?net?...), the info on python solutions is
really lacking.

So, which way should I go? PHP(please! save me from the dark side!!)?
python server pages or python serverpages or webware?? We really need
something stable, complete, and well documented. I'm hoping that I just
haven't found the resources for python that I'm looking for.

I would very much like to use python.

Thanks very much,
Dan Daffer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/