Most Effective Way to Build Up a Histogram of Words?

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Thu Oct 12 13:29:18 EDT 2000

"June Kim" <junaftnoon at nospamplzyahoo.com> wrote:

< big snip>

>> --
>> Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
>> 703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/
>>

>Thank you for your clear and clean code.
>The problem, however, is that I might run through several of a few MB files,
>summing up to tens of mega bytes when added into one file .
>Therefore, to do the sorting all at once might sound somewhat unfeasible
>or ineffecient. Am I trying to make Python a panacea here? ( I know it has
>no snake oil though)
>
>Best Regards,
>June

Given that there are only a few thousand words in popular use it's
probably unlikely you're going to hit more than 100,000 words. Even
with very wasteful storage, that should still occupy less than a few
megaytes.

Dale Strickland-Clark
Out-Think Ltd
Business Technology Consultants