Is this a dream or a nightmare? (Was Re: XML)

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Sun Oct 8 00:10:34 EDT 2000

"David T. Grove" <pete at petes-place.com> wrote in message
news:39dfabb5.27391600 at news.davesworld.net...
> I've been fighting these bastards for more than
> two years now. I know what their goals are, and how they get there. If
> this community shows any acceptance of them, you can kiss python
> goodbye within five years.

> When I heard that ActiveState was going Python, I was furious at Guido
> for allowing it.

(Did ActiveState require special permission from Larry Wall for its use of
Perl?)

> >> The true beauty of perl is shown in how rapidly a program can be
created:
> >> a good average for comparison is 1 line of perl for every 25 lines of
C,
> >> TclTk, Python, or Visual Basic, and every 100 lines of C++.
> >
> >I was surprised to see that ratio of 1 to 25 for Perl to Python.  Could
you
> >say a little about your reasoning in that regard?
>
> Did that in a later post in this thread.

I read it.  Thanks for clarifying it.
("I just picked a number out of thin air"  -- Avogadro)

>  First rude pythonista I've
> found so far. Well, second. (Is "pythonista" politically correct? I
> don't know the right word. In Perl it would be "japh".)

I've always like the term Pythonista.

> >Is your PerlMagic port of Perl freely redistributable?
>
> Of course. That's the whole point of it.

Thanks.  I'm glad to hear it.  Sometime back I was considering Perl for
something (I've forgotten what) and didn't understand how I could distribute
a Windows version of it freely along with my application.  I guess I thought
I'd have needed ActiveState's version and was thoroughly put off by it not
being redistributable.

> Anyway, let's get off that subject. I have another issue or two that I
> need some help with. I need to determine the future of CodeMagic
> itself. Just a quick question before I bring it up... how many of you
> actually use it?

This is the first time I'd heard of it (well, I vaguely remember some talk
on the newsgroup maybe a year or so ago).  Anyway, I downloaded the beta
version (1.0.0 or 1.0.1 or something) today and took a quick look.  So, no,
I haven't actually been using it, but I'll probably try it out some more now
that it is installed.  I mostly use Emacs for my Python work and I keep
hoping I'll get around to trying Idle or PythonWin eventually.

  -- Frank
  frank at canyon-medical.com