PythonWin IDE sucks!

Steve Williams sandj.williams at gte.net
Fri Oct 27 23:59:17 EDT 2000

Matt wrote:

> In article <798jvs4p780j4m9n2pnddj4cti22gpn9pd at 4ax.com>,
>   dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk wrote:
> > Matt <mksql at my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > >PythonWin is a tool for working with the Python language. The
> > >usefulness of the tool has no impact on the usefullness of the
> language.
> >
> > What nonsense. Of course it does. The usefulness of the language is
> > directly linked to how quickly you can churn out working code. The IDE
> > is a critical factor in this.
>
> Since using PythonWin is not a requirement to develop Python code, you
> can use any editor (as I do), there is no link between PythonWin and
> productivity in Python.

[snip]

Not [tmesis] so.  I put <<raw-input "end of run">> at the end of my code.
If I run something from the command line and it returns immediately, I know
I have a syntax error.  But how do I find the error without running
something like PythonWin?

It's very easy for me to maintain something in a text editor and then 'check
it out' in PythonWin and then 'inadvertently' make a fix in PythonWin.   I
eat a lot of chocolate-covered sugar bombs for breakfast and forget to take
my Ritalin sometimes.

When I do that, I'm in serious trouble.  The last time it happened was about
4 hours ago.  When I started as a Python newbie (four weeks ago), that was a
real show-stopper.  I spent a day on that very problem.  But now I know
better.

I *still* make the mistake, however.

The real thrill, is when you don't have <<raw-input "end of run">> at the
end of your code and you find you've run off the end of the world and into
the middle of some code you were working on an hour ago or some library
code.

The magic keystrokes in PythonWin are alt-f4.