future of Python: Stackless, Standard -> fragmentation ?

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at home.com
Sat Oct 7 21:36:06 EDT 2000

In article <8rkpk301ir at news2.newsguy.com>, Alex Martelli
<aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Dirk-Ulrich Heise" <hei at adtranzsig.de> wrote in message
> > I suppose that that VM shares the same disadvantages
> > the Java VM has? Does anybody know more? (I suspect
> A specific example I've
> seen mentioned is tail-recursion-optimization, which is
> crucial for functional-programming languages.
And could also come in handy for Stackless, although I don't know
enough about the internals of Stackless or MSIL to be sure. Tail call
optimization allows long-running processes in functional and logic
languages, which are implemented with tail calls rather than loops, to
run in constant space by reusing activation records (the idea goes at
least as far back as Steele and Sussman's 1976 classic "Lambda: The
Ultimate Imperative").

-- F