Problem with using PythonWin and ActiveX COM Object

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Fri Oct 6 00:57:45 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8ri8ba02lfe at news1.newsguy.com...

> > >sure the genpy-supplied wrappers are used rather than purely
dynamic
> > >dispatching (it's a rather advisable thing anyway, in general),
but I
> > >think you might be able to get away without that.
> >
> > I haven't tried then genpy interface. That might work.
>
> Yes, I may be wrong about the "sometimes being able to get away
> without that" (or maybe it's for [in,out] parameters only, an even
> rarer case).

It actually depends on the object.  Some objects provide no type
information at all, some provide info only in a type library, and some
objects provide info in a type library and at runtime.

In many cases, this depends on the tool used to create the object.
Later tools have provided better functionality "for free".  Eg, it
should come as no surprise that VB implemented objects go the hack!

In terms of getting complete type support for Python, by generating
makepy support you catch the last 2 classes of object.  By not using
makepy, you only catch the last class of object.

I know that is as clear-as-mud - hence the general rule-of-thumb I use
is "makepy gets you type info" :-)

Mark.