PythonWin IDE sucks!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 12:35:55 EDT 2000

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
> This is such a huge irritation and time waster for me that if it isn't
> sorted out I can't really consider Python for future large projects.

What has the Pythonwin IDE got to do with using Python?

> To test a module, I import it into PythonWin using the Import/Reload
> button and then instantiate a class in the Interactive Window.

How are you importing?  You did notice that reload only
works if you use:

import foo

Whereas

from foo import *

will make reload ineffective.
That's a python limitation not a pythonwin fault.

> After a failure, I fix the offending code and Import/Reload again.
> However, the same failure occurs showing the original line with it's
> original contents. The changed module hasn't been loaded.

Did you delete the class instance and create a new one after
the reload? The original is still running the original
code... (I think!)

> The only way to fix it is to quite and reload PythonWin
> but then you have to arrange windows, reestablish
> breakpoints and watches, etc. and it all takes far too long.

Too long compared to what? We have a 4 hour compile cycle
on one of our current C++ projects.... by comparison
working with python is a joy! :-)

What other environment do you use that allows you to
load new module files into a running process?

BTW Have you tried IDLE?
What happens if you use the command line interpreter?
And what version of Pythonwin? There was a buggy version
about a year back. (was it winall version 125?)

Alan G.