installing Tkinter on ActivePython

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Oct 31 11:24:56 EST 2000

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 07:43:25AM +0000, Grant Griffin wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to install Tkinter, given that I
> have already installed ActivePython.  (ActivePython doesn't come with
> Tkinter...)

Well, it comes with Tkinter but not with the Tk DLLs on which Tkinter depends
to run. The release notes for ActivePython give a link to a Windows installer
for Tcl/Tk 8.3.2 here:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/Docs/202/RELEASE.html#python-extension-modules

The link to the installer is:
http://dev.scriptics.com/software/tcltk/downloadnow83.html

You want the tcl832.exe link to download and install. After you install this
and reboot (to get the Tcl/Tk install dir on your PATH) then Tkinter should
work for you.

> I'm running Windows.  On one computer, I installed BeOpen Python, then
> simply installed ActivePython on top of that.  I got a scary warning
> from ActivePython, but it seemed to work fine anyway.

Heh heh. Yes, that warning is just a warning, but probably a valid one. No
guarantees.

Cheers,
Trent

--