Compiling python 2.0

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:28:17 EDT 2000

Quoth "Jean-Claude Levieux" <jclevieux at sud2000.com>:

| I just tried to compile Python 2.0.
| on BSDI BSD/OS 4.0.1
| The compile failed with this message :
|
|         /usr/home/......./Python-2.0/Objects/fileobject.c:274: undefined
| reference to `TELL64'

I hope someone with more specific help has already contacted you.
I know only the general outline of the problem, because I ran into
it on another platform during the beta releases.  Unfortunately
I don't have BSDI and don't have the final 2.0 source at hand.

You can report this as a bug if you like.  To fix it, you will have
to edit that file, fileobject.c.  I expect it should have some statements
near the top that are conditional for NetBSD, and your task is to make
that work for BSDI too.

Save the original fileobject.c, so if your first attempt doesn't work
out right you can go back and start over, and if it does work you can
send back a diff -c between the two that shows what you did.  Afterwards
you don't need to reconfigure, just run make again.

My theory is that BSDI declares off_t a 64 bit type, but doesn't have
an fseeko() function, nor fseek64().  That could mean
1) it has some other fseek-like function for this purpose, or
2) it can support them with a work-around using a 64-bit tell() function, or
3) it doesn't support large files at all (at least in stdio.)

Where TELL64 is used in fileobject.c, you will find all code for all
three cases, for various platforms.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu