Problem using mimetools.encode

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 3 11:45:13 EDT 2000

Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com> writes:

> When I received the mail message it was all hacked up (basically everything
> between two "=" signs on the same line were gone, including the "=" signs
> themselves) and the message contained an X-MIME-Autoconverted header that
> said in effect it had automatically converted the message to 8bit from
> quoted-printable.

Gilles Lenfant just reported a bug in quopri, in that it quotes a
single '=' as '==', which is incorrect. Could that be the cause of the
problem?

> Any pointers to information on sneaking quoted-printable encoded messages
> through mail transfer agents (particularly sendmail) would be much
> appreciated.

You can turn-off the autoconversion if you want. Since sendmail is
generally using autoconversion only on a 8-bit-clean channel, and
since autoconversion is generally guaranteed to not lose any
information, the autoconversion itself should not be a problem.
It is more likely that the data you send was not quoted-printable.

Regards,
Martin