The Death of Usenet archiving

Colin J. Williams cjw at connection.com
Wed Oct 4 12:22:10 EDT 2000

This may be of interest to those who rely on Deja to search out old Python
postings.

Colin W.

Hi,

The following was posted on the netizens list calling attention to a
thread on the Community Memory mailing list.

Jay

Following was an important post that was on the community memory mailing
list yesterday. It is about a petition to Deja News complaining about
their removing the archive they maintained and made available of Usenet
posts.

Also I suggest people take a look at the petition as it includes
peoples comments - and the importance they attach to Usenet and to
it having a memory. And it would be good to figure out how to contribute
to the effort to save the archives.

The whole petition shows the sham of having to rely on the commercial
world and business models for technical and social resources as important
as an archive of Usenet.

Ronda