Where is wxPython?

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Tue Oct 24 19:04:34 EDT 2000

In article <W1D1OXXKKVYwhIFEhiAVX9tf3dlq at 4ax.com>,
  Paul Moore <paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com> wrote:

> PS The 2.0b1 version installed some DLLs in my WINNT\SYSTEM32
> directory. The uninstall removed them OK, but on general principle, I
> prefer applications which don't do this. Is there no way these DLLs
> can be installed with the wxPython module?

Because of the brain-dead way that MSW searches for dll's and since it's
python.exe or pythonw.exe that is actually loading the dll, the only
options are to put the dll in the SYSTEM directory, in the same
directory as python.exe or in a directory on the PATH.  If I put the dll
in the wxPython package directory it won't be found at runtime unless
that directory is added to the PATH, which make no sense otherwise.
Putting it in the SYSTEM directory seemed to be the lesser of available
evils.

Now that I think about it though, there may be a way to do it but it
would mean more mucking around in the registry...  I'll have to try and
figure it out one of these days.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman