ANNOUNCE: PySymbolic - Doing Symbolics in Python

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 03:36:25 EDT 2000

"Huaiyu Zhu" <hzhu at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8u7ud1.8jj.hzhu at rock.localdomain...
    [snip]
> On a related approach, is there any attempt to use Swig to wrap around
GiNaC
> (http://www.ginac.de/)?  It is claimed to be a no-frills C++ engine
written
> specifically for higher level languages to adopt.

I've browsed the GiNaC site but can't find that claim about higher level
languages.  Still, it's a very interesting package.  It does depend on
CLN (for its arbitrary-precision numerics), so I guess that interfacing
it to Python would first require that CLN itself be thus interfaced (and
I wonder about the ability to use CLN with anything but gcc, which would
make interfacing to Python a problem on platforms where gcc is not the
compiler used for Python itself).

Alex