Bookmarks Database and Internet robot

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Tue Oct 10 06:07:51 EDT 2000

Hello!

                    Bookmarks Database and Internet Robot

WHAT IS IT
   Here is a set of classes, libraries, programs and plugins I use to
manipulate my bookmarks.html. I like Netscape Navigator, but I need more
features, so I write and maintain these programs for my needs. I need to
extend Navigator's "What's new" feature (Navigator 4 named it "Update
bookmarks").

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.0
   Complete rewrite from scratch. Created mechanism for pluggable storage
managers, writers (DB dumpers/exporters) and robots.

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.2.0
   New simple_tos robot, based on timeoutsocket.py.
   New writer fald_err that dumps only errors from the database.

WHERE TO GET
   Master site: http://phd.pp.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db

   Faster mirrors: http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/unix/797/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db
   http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/phd2.1/Software/Python/index.html#bookmarks_db

AUTHOR
   Oleg Broytmann <phd2 at earthling.net>

COPYRIGHT
   Copyright (C) 1997-2000 PhiloSoft Design

LICENSE
   GPL

STATUS
   Storage managers: pickle, FLAD (Flat ASCII Database).
   Writers: HTML, text, FLAD (full database or only errors).
   Robots (URL checker): simple, simple+timeoutscoket, forking.

TODO
   Documentation.

   New storage managers: shelve, SQL, MetaKit.
   Robots (URL checkers): threading, asyncore-based.
   Aliases in bookmarks.html.

   Configuration file for configuring defaults - global defaults for the system
   and local defaults for subsystems.

   Detailed reports on robot run - what's old, what's new, what was moved,
   errors, etc.
   WWW-interface to the report.

   Bigger database. Multiuser database. Robot should operate on a part of
   the DB.
   WWW-interface to the database. User will import/export/edit bookmarks,
   schedule robot run, etc.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru