JPython Status

shindich at my-deja.com shindich at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 5 15:47:09 EDT 2000

In article <stn9dkaalrc4cc at corp.supernews.com>,
  "Ivan Frohne" <frohne at gci.net> wrote:

> <shindich at my-deja.com> wrote in message =
> news:8rfqga$9sd$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> > While I see the importance of JPython, I would go as far as saying =
> that
> > JPython should be the main Python vehicle. Let's not forget that
Java
> > is not open source. Scott McNealy is free to screw every one up,
> > whenever he feels like it.
>
> I guess you meant you would NOT want JPython to be the Python
standard =
> bearer.
I obviously meant to say "I would <b>NOT</b> go as far as saying that
JPython should be the main Python vehicle."
> But CPython is not really open source, either.  Guido is free to
screw =
> every one up.
That is not true. Python is open source software. At the very least 2.0
is.
Also, Guido doesn't have the marketing power to single-handedly make
drastic changes and have everyone else accept them. There is a lot
more "steering" by the community.
> And, of course, Visual C is not in any sense open source.  So the =
Use gcc.
> (rather large)
> Windows community might prefer a viable Jpython.  Right now it seems
> be withering on the vine.
>
> -Ivan Frohne =20
>
> =20

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/