PEP 4: Deprecation of standard modules

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sun Oct 8 14:36:48 EDT 2000

> Main reason I'm posting this publicly is because I object to the
> deprecation/obsolence of the gopherlib module.  One of my ISPs uses
> gopher as a way of reporting status information (see gopher://rexx.com),
> and there may well be other gopher servers out there.  I'm hoping to
> rally support from other people who think gopher is not yet extinct.

Yes I agree.

Although I am not using gopher myself, I am sure there is still lots of
useful sitespeople have done in the past which deserve good access via
Python. If anything, keeping gopherlib.py  means there is much more chance
gophersites can be happily translated to later protocols. Python is a good
tool for this. Take away gopherlib and the whole thing becomes a much
greater hassle.

>:-(

Plus, the history of the Internet will end up be very 'disinformed' if such
important early systems are deprecated too soon.  Gopher was crucial as I
remember it in the developing idea of Internet.
Come wireless lowband WAP, Bluetooth and more, and people may well benefit
from reviewing the highly effective minimalism which it offered. If less is
more, then more less is even more!!

We only talking about 5 Kb right?

- Jason