Automatic copies of NumPy arrays

Jan Kybic Jan.Kybic at epfl.ch
Fri Oct 20 12:01:01 EDT 2000

Janko Hauser <jhauser at ifm.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> A good policy with NumPy functions should be that they do not alter
> the input arguments, without mentioning this explicitly. This policy

Thanks for the speedy reaction. Yes, I agree that following your
policy prevents the mystical errors but it can be sometimes
inefficient, because you make a copy of an array just to destroy the
original array immediately afterwards. I work with big images (3D) so
sometimes it matters.

> is now more important, as there is now the savespace flag, which
> actually changes the behavior of a NumPy array. This flag needs to be
> cleaned up before the function returns.

What is this flag? My NumericalPython manual index does not talk about
it. Where can I find more?

Thanks again.

Jan