Programmer-Wanna-Be (Is Python for me?)

Erik Wilsher erik.wilsher at iname.com
Wed Oct 11 17:13:52 EDT 2000

--- In python-list at egroups.com, fifeclub at m... wrote:

> 2.  Is Python RELATIVELY one of the easiest ways to do this?
Well, Interface design is in many ways easier in other programming
systems (VB,Delphi), but be aware that creating the interface is just
part of the job.

> 3.  What about Visual Basic? (the most commonly used) Why should I
not
> choose VB instead?
My experience is that VB offers extremly easy interface building
tools, and makes it possible to create simple applications very fast.
 You'll probably love it the first 3 or 4 times you create simple
one-screen applications with a minimum of logic "behind".  The main
problem with VB is of course that the language itselves is seriously
deficient.  Your 10th applications will definitly not be as much fun
as your first, since you are battling the limitations in the language
more than actually programming.

> 4.  Is there a WYSIWYG editor (like Frontpage is for HTML)?  Is
this
IDLE

> 5.  What's the deal with Tk/Tcl?  Why is this so closely tied with
Tk/Tcl offers a "Graphical front end" for python applications.  There
are alternatives, wxPython is my favorite.

> 6.  Where should I start?  (I've already downloaded and installed
> Python2.0b2 but haven't attempted to write anything)  Do I need to
> download anything else?
Well, this is the frustrating part, I remember startin python and
looking at the copyright text and a ">>>" prompt, thinking "OK whats
the big deal".  Read the documentation.  Learn how to make simple
scripts, and run them.  Read other peoples code.  Read literature on
programing in general.  Don't give up.

Good luck