New Python development process (SourceForge considered Harmful?)

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Thu Oct 5 15:53:25 EDT 2000

Hi Bernhard, hi list,

    Bernhard> Yes I am also worried. (And spoke up about it when
    Bernhard> Python was moving.)  Even a Linux Weekly News article
    Bernhard> raised some concerns a while back.  Check out the
    Bernhard> current one which talks about the new sourceforge long
    Bernhard> due privacy policy, which still is far from being
    Bernhard> perfect.

The problem with SourceForge is that there's no alternative.

Or can anyone point to an equally *open* service?

I mean, it's easy to get free or affordable web hosting... but mailing
lists?  CVS even?

And it's open to all comers... there were/are various sites that give
out CVS and web space... but even if they're known, it's rarely very
well known that you can get access, and even if, it still feels like
begging ("Hi Tom/Dick/Harry, I have this cool project and I'd really
like to have some CVS and it would be great to... uhm, uhhh,...")

As long as there's no service like it, it will grow...

Bye, J

PS: I went to SF... I asked myself "What's the worst thing that could
happen?", and didn't find a sufficiently scary scenario...

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html