Scheduling of Threads

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri Oct 20 11:52:43 EDT 2000

"Prof. Peter Stoehr" <peter.stoehr at weihenstephan.org> writes:

> I'm giving lectures about Operating-Systems. It would be nice to give
> students the possibility to write different scheduler (Round-Robin,
> FIFO, ...). Such a scheduler should manage a set of threads.

That level of control is difficult to achieve, it's the OS that
hands out CPU time to the threads. You could play tricks with locks
etc. to illustrate scheduling techniques, but it wouldn't be very
realistic. If that's what you want to do, perhaps the microthread
package for Stackless Python is a better starting point, because it
is simpler. See http://world.std.com/~wware/uthread.html for details.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr